So who doesn’t like bagels? I know I am a sucker for bagels. My favorite combo is a plain bagel with cream cheese, or a garlic spread on my bagel. Now, if you know anything about keto then you know that anything high in carbs is completely off limits. As a recovering carb-addict I told myself that I would stay away from ketofying recipes to continue to feed my carb addiction.
While my approach to keto may be a bit different than other people it is still important to note that variations are important when making a lifestyle change. When I started keto I challenged myself to 30 days of strict keto and sticking to whole foods and staying away from recipes resembling carbs. I completed that challenge no problem and I am so grateful for it.
However, the last week or so I grew tired of the regular eggs, bacon, and avocados I was having post-workout or for breakfast. I felt that I was ready to try something a little different and thus I ventured off into looking for a bagel recipe.
There are many bagel recipes out there, but I ended being inspired by the fathead dough recipe that is often times used to make pizza dough and made this recipe. I am not giving myself much credit on this one because it was inspired by a few different channels I follow on youtube and www.wholesomeyum.com. (Btw, the latter is a great site for low-carb/keto recipes)
The recipe goes as follows:
– 2 1/2 cups Shredded Mozzarella cheese
– 3 ounces of full fat cream cheese
– 1 1/2 tbsp baking powder (gluten free)
– 1 1/2 cups almond flour
– 2 eggs
– Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a microwable bowl place the mozzarella cheese and cream cheese. Place in microwave for one minute. Stir with a spoon and place back in microwave for an additional minute and stir again, making sure they are well combine and melted.
- In a separate bowl combine the almond flour and baking powder. Use a fork to get rid of lumps in the flour. Once both are combined well, mix the two eggs with either a hand mixer or an electric mixer.
- Make sure you have allowed the cheese mixture to sit for about 30 seconds, this helps the mixture not be too hot and avoids the eggs cooking while being mixed. Bring together both mixtures and combine well until you have a well mixed dough.
- Divide that dough into six even parts. Spray both hands with non-stick cooking spray. Grab one of the pieces of dough and roll it into a long log and connect the ends together to form the bagel, then place bagel on baking sheet and repeat.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Set aside to cool. These may be stored in the fridge for a week or placed in the freezer. They defrost well.
You can make this recipe your own by adding other seasonings, like garlic powder, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, etc. I preferred mine plain so that I could enjoy them with any other combinations.
These taste absolutely amazing and only round about 5 net carbs. You cannot beat that with the regular bagels usually being well over 30 grams of carbs.
Please comment below if you give these a try and remember to subscribe to follow along my fitness journey and for more delicious recipes.